Access to Recreation

Access to Recreation’s mission is to be a catalyst for change, enabling communities to create greater access and inclusiveness in recreation facilities, programs, and services for people of all ages and all abilities.

ARRA – American Recovery and Reinvestment Act

Federal funding for grants, contracts and loans established to spur economic development and invest in long-term growth.

CDBG – Community Development Block Grant Program

The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program is a flexible program that provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development needs. Beginning in 1974, the CDBG program is one of the longest continuously run programs at HUD. The CDBG program provides annual grants on a formula basis to 1209 general units of local government and States.

CMAQ - Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program

The CMAQ program was conceived to support surface transportation projects and other related efforts that contribute air quality improvements and provide congestion relief.

IDOT EDP – Economic Development Program

The purpose of the Economic Development Program (EDP) is to provide state assistance in improving highway access to new or expanding industrial distribution or tourism developments. The intent is to make available state matching funds that will be a positive contribution in the location-selection process and to target those projects which will expand the state''s existing job base or create new employment opportunities.

IDOT TARP – Truck Access Route Program

The purpose of the TARP is to help local governments upgrade roads to accommodate 80,000 pound truck loads. The department has a set aside amount of TARP funding that coincides with funding for Economic Development Program projects.

IGIG - Illinois Green Infrastructure Grant Program

Grants are available to local units of government and other organizations to implement green infrastructure best management practices to control stormwater runoff for water quality protection in Illinois. Projects must be located within a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) or Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) area. Funds are limited to the implementation of projects to install best management practices (BMPs).

ITEP – Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program

ITEP provides funding for community based projects that expand travel choices and enhance the transportation experience by improving the cultural, historic, aesthetic and environmental aspects of our transportation infrastructure. Project sponsors may receive up to 80 percent reimbursement for eligible project costs. The remaining 20 percent is the responsibility of the project sponsor. A project must qualify as one of the 12 eligible categories listed in the ITEP Guidelines Manual and the project must relate to surface transportation to be eligible for funding.

kaBOOM! – National non-profit organization promoting playground construction

The mission of this non-profit organization is to create great playspaces through the participation and leadership of communities.

NRPA – National Recreation and Park Association

The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) periodically has competitive grants available for park and recreation agencies. These opportunities are listed and are updated frequently.

NSBP – National Scenic Byways Program

The National Scenic Byways Program is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration. The program is a grass-roots collaborative effort established to help recognize, preserve and enhance selected roads throughout the United States.

OSLAD - Open Space Lands Acquisition and Development Program

The Open Space Lands Acquisition and Development (OSLAD) Program is a state-financed grant program that provides funding assistance to local government agencies for acquisition and/or development of land for public parks and open space.

PARC - Park and Recreational Facility Construction Grant Program

The Park and Recreational Facility Construction Act (PARC) was created to provide grants to be disbursed by the DNR to eligible local governments for park and recreation unit construction projects.

RTP – Recreational Trails Program

This program provides funding assistance for acquisition, development, rehabilitation and maintenance of both motorized and non-motorized recreation trails.

TSCP - Transportation, Community, and System Preservation Program

The Transportation, Community, and System Preservation (TCSP) Program is a comprehensive initiative of research and grants to investigate the relationships between transportation, community, and system preservation plans and practices and identify private sector-based initiatives to improve such relationships.

Tony Hawk Foundation – Skatepark Grants

The primary mission of the Tony Hawk Foundation is to promote high quality, public skateparks in low-income areas throughout the United States.